2011-12 EDUCATIONAL VISITS

March 13 2012

Monastery of St. John the Theologian, Souroti Thessaloniki

In the framework of the lesson of Religious Matters, Class C visited the Monastery of St. John the Theologian. Elder Paisios reposed and was buried at the Monastery, next to the church of St Arsenios the Cappadocian. The visit was organized by Mrs. Persefoni Liapi, Theologian.

 

March 08 2012

Concert Hall Organization of Thessaloniki

In the framework of the lesson of Music, Classes A1 and A3 watched the musical performance titled «Disney in Concert» given in the Concert Hall Organization of Thessaloniki. The visit was organized by Mr. Christos Xanthos, Musician.

February 22 2012

Science Center and Technology Museum (NOESIS)

In the framework of the lessons of Computer Science and Technology, Class A visited NOESIS and guided to an exhibition titled «A Meeting to the Ancient Market». The visit was organized by Mrs. Anna Michailidou, Computer Science.

 

February 20 2012

«Olympion» Cinema

In the framework of the lesson of Arts, Classes A1 and A2, participated in a project titled «3-2-1 making a movie» organized by the Hellenic Theatre/ Drama Education Network in cooperation with the Film Festval of Thessaloniki. The visit was organized by Mrs. Konstandina Vlachou, Art teacher and Mrs. Evgenia Batziou, Geologist.

 

December 05 2011

«Olympion» Cinema

In the framework of the of the cultural dimension of education, Classes A and C, watched the movie, «The Wave». Simultaneously, Class B watched the movie, «The Barefoot Battalion», in the classes with interactive boards. Mr. Savvas Fragos, Philologist and Mrs. Aikaterini Kalli, Philologist, organized the activity.

«The Wave»

(DIE WELLE, 2008)

 Directed by: Dennis Gansel.

 

High school teacher Rainer Wenger is forced to teach a class on autocracy, despite being an anarchist. When his students, third generation after the Second World War, do not believe that a dictatorship could be established in modern Germany, he starts an experiment to demonstrate how easily the masses can be manipulated. He begins by demanding that all students address him as "Herr Wenger", as opposed to Rainer, and places students with poor grades beside students with good grades purportedly so they can learn from one another and become better as a whole. When speaking, they must stand and give short, direct answers. Wenger shows his students the effect of marching together in the same rhythm, motivating them by suggesting that they could really annoy the anarchy class, which is below them. Wenger suggests a uniform, to remove class distinction and further unite the group. Mona (Amelie Kiefer) argues it will remove individuality, as well. Karo (Jennifer Ulrich) shows up to class without the uniform and is ostracized. The students decide they need a name, deciding on "Die Welle" (The Wave). Karo suggests another name, which ends up with one single vote cast by her. More...

 

October 26 2011

Military Museum and Monument of the Fort Rupel

Mr. Savvas Fragos, Philologist, organized the visit.

 

Fort Rupel

Fort Roupel (Greek: Οχυρό Ρούπελ) is a fortress at the north border of Central Macedonia, Greece, built in 1914. It became part of the fortifications of the Metaxas Line in the 1930s and became famous for its defence during the German invasion of Greece in April 1941.

The Rupel fortifications are not far from the Serres-Promachonas national road, which leads to the Greek-Bulgarian border. They are just a short distance from the border in the narrow Rupel Gorge, through which the Strymon River flows. This place is of strategic importance for entry to Greek or Bulgarian territory and was fortified in 1914.

During World War I, on 12/25 May 1916, under German pressure, the Greek government ordered the surrender of the fortress to the Germans and their Bulgarian allies, without a shot being fired. The German-Bulgarian troops then proceeded to occupy most of eastern Macedonia without resistance. This act led to the outbreak of a revolt of Greek Army officers in Thessaloniki and the establishment of the Provisional Government of National Defence under Entente auspices there, opposed to the official Athens government and King Constantine I, cementing the so-called "National Schism".

The fort became famous during World War II, when the advance of the German and Bulgarian armies was stopped in front of this fort. On the eve of World War II, Fort Roupel was incorporated into the Metaxas Line, a new line of defense that was built to repel an invasion into Greece from Bulgaria. For three days the fort held out against German attack and was only abandoned by its men after the surrender of the Greek army in Thessaloniki.

Today one of the fortification's galleries is open to visitors, as is a small museum and the pavilion the visitors, the observatory and memorial of fallen soldiers. In the gallery, the visitor has the opportunity to feel the moments of the battle. Walking the wards and in the side aisles there are dioramas that depict the Greek fighters battle forts (gunner, doctor to doctor's caring for injured, the sergeant in his office and the office of captain and more). More...

Photographs from the visit:

 

October 25 2011

«Pneumatic Center of the Assumption of the Virgin Church in Oreokastro»

In the framework of the lesson of Religious Matters, Classes C1 and C3, visited the «Pneumatic Center of the Assumption of the Virgin Church in Oreokastro». The students admired Mrs. Kiriaki Kasidou paintings. The revenues of the painting exhibition were used for strengthening the parish work. The visit was organized by Mrs. Persefoni Liapi, Theologist.

 

   Responsible of Cultural Affairs for the School Year 2011-2012,
appointed Mr. Savvas Fragos, Philologist and Mrs. Aikaterini Kalli, Philologist.